Another Step Toward The Country Side Of Living

       

Well, I took another step toward the country side of living today. Amber, Beaux Bo and I were sitting in front of the fireplace watching Jason, the contractor, remodel our guest bathroom. The fire started to burn down low and I couldn't get Jason to bring in some wood for the fire and Amber also declined the chore, so I decided to fetch the firewood myself. When I got to the wood rack there was nothing but huge logs left so in a moment of questionable judgment, I decided to split a few logs right quick. After all I had seen it done on several old western TV shows, even the women made it look easy and all it takes is an axe and I thought I remembered seeing one of those when we moved.

I gathered my trusty axe, set up a huge heavy log to split the smaller logs on and put on my work gloves (not to be confused with my work resistant gloves). Before taking the first swing, I looked around to make sure it was safe (and to make sure nobody was watching). I then zeroed in on the target, took a calming breath and swung a mighty swing. I missed the log, but only a couple of inches. I swung again with all my might and this time I chipped of a piece of the log about four inches long and it came up and struck the knuckles on my right hand. After about six or seven swings I had mastered the art of log splitting, although I had only split one log.
 
Although it seemed quicker, after an hour or so I managed to split enough wood for the night. Lucas McCain, Matt Dillon and the rest of the my log splittin' heroes would have been proud, especially considering the amount of blood I lost, the possibility of having a couple of broken bones and taking into account the delay while settling on a cost for my neighbor's broken window.

I gathered up an arm full of wood and paraded into the house to feed the fire and accept accolades from my sweet wife for a job well done. Well, the fire had gone out, Beaux Bo was asleep in his cozy little bed and Amber told me to take my clothes off....so she could see if she could wash all the blood stains out before they ruined my perfectly good clothes.

Well, I don't care what anybody thinks, I feel good! I think tomorrow I'm going to build a barn or something!



   

Comments

Popular Posts