I am Home


                           
Late this afternoon I hopped in Amber's ATB (All Terrain Buggy) with nothing really in mind and took off into the wilderness. Normally Amber and Beaux Bo join me on these almost daily jaunts but today Amber wanted to finish up on her Christmas decorating and, because the air was getting cool, Beaux Bo said he would stay and protect Amber from varmints. There are miles and miles of trails through nature's wilderness and around the lake but today I drove straight up the hill overlooking the lake.

At the top of the hill I turned back facing the lake and stopped. There had been no plan, only a feeling this is where I needed to be. As I sat atop nature's pedestal, the setting sun began highlighting the top of trees and the mirrored waters of the lake reflected the awesome December colors of the sky. The quiet lake cabins huddle in the quiet shadows of the late day with only a few showing signs of occupancy with trails of smoke rising from their chimneys.

A cool mind clearing breeze moved through the chattering Autumn leaves. Suddenly everything seemed unusually clear, not only visually but mentally as well. I could see the faces and hear the laughter and words of family and friends reminding me why I loved them. I saw friend's faces of yesterday and feelings of tenderness long forgotten came back for a brief while. I saw the faces of family before illness stole the light from their eyes and felt the warmth of their embraces shared with the strength of love.


Although not long enough, it seemed I'd been there for a long while as the shadows of dusk begin to silhouette the horizon. As I follow the winding trail down the hill, still of clear mind and cleansed soul, I can still feel the presence of all those I love and have loved, letting me know they will always be there. Yes I am in a good place, I am where I should be, I am home. 

Comments

Popular Posts