Sleepless


Here I sit, night time nearly over, morning coming too soon, or is it not soon enough. My body is tired but my mind goes on and on and on. I play out past mistakes and peek into what may have been. I smile as I wonder past the good things and the good people that have shaped my soul and given me direction. Here in the quiet darkness of a once bustling house, I sit waiting for another day with my faithful buddy and pet, Beaux, curled at
my feet. He occasionally raises his head and looks my way, then rests his head again satisfied that all is well. The clock chimes a reminder of the time, I hear a lone car drive by and I wonder who would be stirring at this hour and why? I close my eyes and hear the bright voices of the grandkids and remember all we've done and all that we still have to do. Finally the parade of memories and thoughts begin to fade as do the pestering aches of age, I draw in a deep breath of calming air and smile as my eyes slowly close and I sleep.

Comments

Popular Posts