Warning Signs

Well, today I experienced something totally unexpected. Amber and I went into Brownwood to purchase some supplies and while we were there I decided to stop by the hardware store and buy an eight foot aluminum step ladder I have needed for a while. Amber said she would just sit in the car and I told her it would only be a minute to run in, get the ladder and pay for it , no problem. I went in and asked an employee where I could find the aluminum eight foot ladders. She took me to the ladders and helped me find and remove the ladder from the rack. Then it happened, she pointed to a warning label on the ladder that said "250 Pound Load Capacity" and then said, "Are you sure this is the ladder you want?" as she stared at my midsection. "Don't you think a fiberglass ladder would be better for you, it's rated for 350 pounds", she continued.

I told her the aluminum ladder would be fine that I weighed a lot less than 250 pounds (248 pounds because I've been sick). I then carried the ladder to the checkout area where the clerk scanned the tag and then asked if I had noted the 250 pound load capacity on the ladder. I told her thanks but it had already been pointed out to me and that if she would show me where their scales were located, I would gladly weigh in their presence and relieve them of their concerns!


I haven't felt this way since I was six years old and was told I couldn't ride several of the carnival rides because I could walk under a bar that had a sign on it saying, "If you can walk under this bar, you are too short to ride these rides!"                            

Comments

Popular Posts