Fifty Years Between Classes

This past 28th and 29th of October 2016, a good number of my Brownwood High School Class of 1967 and I got together and tried to cram fifty years of living into two days. There was a committee that spent months planning this special gathering and they did a good job but for the most part, there was no plan that could have contained the direction and excitement that drove the emotion of this extraordinary event. Faces and stature were not the same as I remembered, but if I was patient enough to wait for a laugh or smile or sometimes just the sound of their voice, fifty years of fog would lift and I knew exactly who I was with.

We talked, we laughed, we hugged and we cried a little. No matter what path fifty years of living had taken us, for these few hours we were once again back on equal ground as friends, classmates, teammates and more. Even those that had not been able to complete the fifty year journey with us were very well represented, their stories were told, they were remembered and they were missed.


The weekend was too short! There wasn't enough time! I didn't get to talk and share stories as long as I wanted with as many as I wanted to. This weekend was special, I went home feeling much younger, my soul recharged and my heart full of love and respect. I would say this to folks who care about these things, as well as to the few who don't really care, if you ever have a chance to reunite with your past, with old friends and those that helped make you what you are today, do it!

Comments

Popular Posts