It Thundered Louder Back Then

Watching nature's show.

I sat alone, but not without company, out by The Creek this afternoon. I had been working in what had started out as a typically miserable hot Summer day in Texas. However, also typical with Texas weather, a heat spurred thunder storm began to build in the west and, as I sat back in my favorite chair, I could feel a cooler breeze laced with the unmistakable smell of rain. Then the slow rumble of thunder began to build in the distance. I closed my eyes and laid my head back so that my face was pointing upward toward the canopy of Crêpe Myrtle  leaves swaying with the cool wind.

Then a second rumble of thunder, this time heard by the ears of a young boy sitting in the safety of his home in Brownwood, Texas. It seems storms came more often, the thunder much louder and the winds blew with violent velocities. Yet, I don't remember any real fear. I can remember, as a crash of thunder shook the house accompanied by a blinding flash of nearby lightening, I would glance back toward Mom or Dad and, if they appeared unconcerned, so was I. I would sit inside the front door with my face pressed against the glass window and watch nature's show. I don't know that I have felt that same sense of security since.
          
Another clap of thunder, this time closer and louder, and I open my eyes as I felt a tapping on my lower leg. I leaned forward and there at my feet is Beaux Bo looking up at me as if looking for an indication that all was well. I reached down and place him in my lap just as another barrage of thunder rumbled near and a fine mist began to work its way through the thick leaves of the Crepe Myrtle trees. This time Beaux Bo rares up with his front feet on my chest and licks my cheek nervously.
          
This time I give him a reassuring hug, pick up his ball and we walk slowly toward the house as I tell Beaux Bo, "Let's go in, get something to eat and watch it rain." 




Comments

Popular Posts