It Was Good But I'm Goin' To Gripe Anyway





Amber and I went to and survived a great concert in Brownwood last night. The music was great and there was an unbelievably large crowd there. They announced over 5000 tickets had been sold. Right off the bat, even though I had purchased our tickets over a month in advance and had the tickets in my hand, we had to wait in a horribly long line forever only to find out we were in the wrong line and had to wait in another line to have bracelets applied to our wrist. Then we had to wait in another slow moving line to rent 2 chairs for two dollars apiece. Can you imagine 5000 folks carting chairs around and just setting them up helter-skelter .

Before the music started, I decided I would get a beer, so, I had to wait in another line to have my ID checked, get another bracelet put on my other wrist saying I was 21 and purchase a ticket for the beer. I then had to go stand in another line with my ticket to get my beer (I waiting in line so long for my beer, I actually contemplated quitting drinking). I then asked where I might purchase a Diet DP for Amber (my Designated Person)and they pointed to a couple of folks sitting under a tree with a couple of ice chests selling cold drinks and bottled water.... 5000 folks and this was all they had as an alternative to beer, they ran out in about 15 minutes.

Then, after drinking my beer, I needed to visit the men's room but I was afraid to ask about the facility out of concern as to what procedures I would have to endure before allowed to wait in line to potty. Besides I was running out of room for bracelets.  I finally gave in and was pointed toward a row of Porta-Potties lined up in the darkest corner of the lot with no lighting whatsoever. Once you worked up the courage to enter one of the upright coffins, your only options were to not worry about aim or whip out the smart phone (Probably the only time I've ever used the flashlight on my phone, the kids would be proud).

I would also like to take just a moment to thank the idiot right in front of us who felt an obligation to stand up all night even though there was no one in front of them standing. It wasn't like you had to show your school spirit or that there was a flag on stage. I suspect they were just in awe because they had never seen an electric guitar before.


Brownwood should be proud of a great concert and should be congratulated on the ability to bring in such a large crowd. If Brownwood is going continue to join the 'Big Boys" in holding name concerts then they need to be set up and prepared for 5000 people and not save expenses and be set up for 500. I would pay another $2 if my chair was already in place in nice straight rows rather than the zig-zag, musical chairs version of last night.   

Comments

Popular Posts