Goodbye Bubba

Well, Bubba's (Kenneth Ray Ford) funeral was today and it was amazing. The chapel was brimming full, standing room only, of loving family and friends. The kid's teachers, classmates and school administrators , including the Superintendent, were there. The school even provided a bus for all the eighth grade athletes to ride in support of their friend and teammate Cole. The amount of love, support and respect was almost unbelievable. Thank you to all and to all God Bless....
Following is my tribute to Bubba:
In Memory Of Kenneth Ray Ford
By Terry Beck
The cause is harsh, the results are difficult, the battle may have but one end. Love never fades, we share the pain but disguise the tears. The memories hold strength with no regret. We will hold all that is left and give all that is ours to give. Just know this, his love and memories are here now and will be forevermore. Family and friends always!
I am Terry Beck, I'm Kenneth's father in law and he has been an important part of my wife Amber and my life for about twenty-two years, though it seems much like forever. Kenneth....I'm sorry, I was going to try and stick with the name Kenneth but he has been and always will be Bubba to me or Bub when I'm too lazy to say Bubba. I'd like to take a little of your time to share with you some of my thoughts and opinions of Bubba.
The only negative thoughts I may have had about Bub were those I conjured up before I met him. Upon hearing Shaye had a date, my thoughts were that I would never see him. He would drive up to the house and honk or simple just sit there until Shaye came outside. However, at the exact time of his anticipated arrival, the doorbell rang an in walked Kenneth Ford, a sharp looking young man. He walked over to me, stuck out his hand and as we shook hands, introduced himself to me. I was amazed, maybe a little suspicious, but still amazed. He then informed me of their plans for the night and asked me what time he needed to have Shaye home. I was impressed and from that night on, I never had reason not to trust him.
After Shaye and Bubba had been dating for a while Bub found out I was looking for a place to go cut firewood. He invited me to come with him and he would help me cut some wood at he and his Dad's sand pit. I remember this day vividly. We had been cutting wood for a couple of hours with chainsaws when he walked over to me as I stood sweating with my chainsaw still in hand. He him-hawed around for a bit but finally blurted out, "Would you give me your permission to ask Shaye to marry me?" I couldn't believe it, he had actually asked for my permission to marry my daughter and did it while I had a chainsaw in my hand. We sat down and talked for a while. Not having any sons of my own it was a little awkward in the beginning but after a while it turned into a good talk. I finally told him that I really thought they ought to wait a while but it was Shaye he was wanting to marry so he should ask her and I would support whatever they decided to do.
I remember not too many years ago when we were all out at the lake and Bub approached me and asked me if I would show him how to fish because he knew the kids would eventually want to learn and while he knew a little about fishing, he wanted to learn all he could for their sake. I figured we would first start with Crappie fishing because it was fairly simple but fun. I gave him an old Zebco rod and reel with eight pound line, put a two hook Crappie rig on it, put a bobber on the line and baited the rig with two minnows. I told Bub to cast the line out and then just watch the bobber until it bobbed then just reel in the fish. In about five minutes the bobber disappeared, Bubba hollered "Sweet!" and started reeling. It seemed to take forever but Bub finally brought the fish in. It was a ten pound 6 ounce black bass. At that time I had fished nearly my whole life and the biggest black bass I had caught was about eight pounds and Bub had the gall to say, "I really thought fishing would be harder than that!"
Bubba was a gentle, caring man who worked hard. He was a man who drew more satisfaction out of rebuilding an older vehicle with uncanny ability and patience than to drive a brand new vehicle. He tried for years to get Shaye to buy into the excitement of rebuilding and driving an older model car with character, but Shaye was more of a new car gal. Bubba rebuilt a 1965 Star craft boat that was the envy of everyone who knew anything about boats. I once had an old lawn mower I was wanting to replace with a new one but couldn't because Bubba kept fixing it.
Bub was a prideful man in everything he had and everything he did. He was an artist and dirt was his canvas. It was amazing what he could do with dirt. Ford Excavation was his business but it was also his excuse for doing something he loved. When it came to his work he was always firm but fair. I looked up to Bub because of all the things he could do that I couldn't but he was also admired by others that did the same work as him. Bubba was quiet when dealing with any problems or setbacks he might have but would never hesitate to help others in need.
Bubba was a great father and spent every available minute with Cole and Abbie. Whether it be eating lunch with them at school, watching them in sports and spelling B's, watching movies, playing games, camping out , boating or helping them with their homework. I have always been a little jealous of Bub because he was a much better father than me. I let too many things get between me and time with my family, something Bub would never do.
Bubba was an understanding man who's ability to listen was always comforting to others. He was trusting, loving, serious when he had to be and make you laugh and forget why you were sad. Bub was a man's man but not afraid of showing emotion. He gave me my first man hug, I think to embarrass me in the beginning but as time went on I hugged Bubba because I loved him as a son and I hoped he also loved me.
I can think of nothing better than Bub walking up to the Pearly Gates and seeing St Peter and his Dad Kenneth driving up in a '66 Chevy pickup. I can hear Bubba now, "Sweet!"

Comments

Popular Posts