Ol' Boy From Woodland Heights


                             
I'm just an ol' boy from Woodland Heights, south side of Brownwood,
Deep in the heart of Texas, home to folks who are loving and good.
Pop would come home smellin' of paint, thinner and gasoline
Wearing a smile with a heart of steel or gold or somewhere in between.
I was the oldest of five boys a position of honor, respect and fuss
Mom , the only girl in the house, could out work and out fish all of us.

I loved sports and wanted to make a name for myself, making all proud                           
Paying my way, helping my family and tipping my hat to the crowd.
Average was the best this kid from Woodland Heights could ever do
But I had fun and had respect for some of  the finest folks I ever knew.
Being the oldest I was to set the example, go to college and graduate.
Three and a half years was all I could do, money talked, I couldn't wait.

I went to work for the grand old Santa Fe and once again found respect
I decided to hitch on to a flying star not worrying who it would affect
Somehow this ol' boy from Woodland Heights met the perfect girl
A family then came with gals so sweet and life changed back to a swirl.
I climbed the corporate ladder for thirty years before I became aware  
I spent the next ten years climbing back down for my families welfare.

Then to my surprise somebody told this ol' boy I should write a book
I wrote two, sold a bunch to family and friends and felt like a crook.
I've been asked if I had an author or book I would take the time to read
If you can make up your own stuff, why read others, there is no need.
Now I do what I do best, I'm a talker, no crowds needed, no spotlights
If you have time, I'm your man, the Ol' Boy From Woodland Heights.
   

Comments

Popular Posts