Fetch The Net

It was late Sunday afternoon and as I strolled out on our pier to breath in some of the fresh lake air in an attempt to clear the debris from my cluttered little brain when suddenly I heard someone calling my name. I turned and about three piers down was my friend, neighbor and outdoorsman extraordinaire Fred Afflerbach. He had a huge bow in his fishing rod and was reeling and pumping as he hollered "I don't have my net!"


I grabbed my net and started running (limping real fast) his way. As I arrived he continued battling whatever monster lay beneath the water. I ask what he was using for bait and he said he was using a large perch. We decided he must have hooked a huge yellowcat. He continued the battle and the longer the battle the larger our estimates of how big the old catfish became. About that time, Diane (Fred's lovely wife) arrived after seeing me running (limping real fast) with a net and wondering what was going on. Diane and I began reassuring Fred as he continued his battle. I began practicing my netting procedure and letting Fred know I had him covered.


The tug-a-ward continues and we could tell Fred was beginning to wear from the battle. We continued to cheer him on and I began to document the scene for posterity. After what seemed like an eternity, Fred decided to take the battle to the water and boarded his kayak so he could maneuver in open water. The battle continued and it appeared fatigue may have been creeping in on Fred. Finally, Fred maneuvered directly over the seemingly never tiring target and with on last surge of energy he pulled upward. There was a second or two of silence, then Fred turned toward us and held up his line. There on the end of his line was the perch flopping in the air. Fred wiped his brow, smiled and said ,"You know, that stump put up one hell of a fight...maybe the best stump I've ever hooked!"



Comments

Popular Posts