Not Every day Is The Same

Old friends share bad news.


The other day I arrived at the gym at my usual Sunday afternoon time, saw the usual faces, spoke to several of the usual folks using my usual delay-the-workout tactics. One of those I nearly always at least greet and shake hands with was there and as we passed each other , I gave him the usual greeting and shook his hand. He held on to my hand which kind of spun me around and he asked how I was doing. We chatted , mostly small talk, longer than usual. We have know each other for years, even before the start of my twenty-five year stint at the gym, but most of our conversations, although numerous,  were short. Then I remembered the last talk we had and I asked him, "How are you Bro, how did your tests come out?"

"It's cancer!" he said.

I listened to him for about forty-five minutes without saying much, after which he stood, gripped my hand and said, "Thank you Bro," As he slowly walked away.

Things are not always the same....Things change. 

Comments

Popular Posts