I'm Not That Kind Of Guy


I love music. I don't need a crowd to enjoy music. As matter of a fact it's most enjoyable when I am by myself or with a few close friends or family members, as long as they share my attachment for good music. I often dream of having the ability to sing or play a musical instrument, to have the ability to pick up a guitar or sit at a piano and play or sing whatever my heart feels. I have owned a guitar since I was twelve years old and my only accomplishment was to prove I'm not the musical kind.
I love Art. I envy those who can transcribe what their heart and eyes see into a beautiful display of art. To possess the natural ability to take nothing but a thought and talent and turn it into something beautiful and loved by many is a wondrous thing. I've made many attempts in artistic ventures only to confirm that it is also not one of my natural abilities. I'm afraid I'm not the arty kind.
I love sports. I have participated in some form of sporting competition since I was six years old. I have played baseball, football, basketball, golf, tennis, volleyball, racquetball and participated in dozens of other athletic ventures always working hard and long hours. Although I dreamed of college scholarships and even becoming a professional of some kind, the best I could muster was average and most times maybe a little below. I guess I just never was the naturally athletic kind.
I loved my job. Although I would have preferred having a business of my own and to have reaped the benefits brought in by my unique business abilities, I soon found that my destiny would be to always work for the other man. I was ambitious and worked my way up the corporate ladder only to spend the last few years working my way back down that same ladder. It seems that my goals, not necessarily my ambitions, had changed. I was not the hardcore business minded kind.
I have always loved literature, although I would never have admitted it in my younger days. I have always been amazed at those who could take the words that we use every day and transform them into a beautiful and memorable piece of literature, whether it be poetry or any of the many forms of literary expression. I spend a lot of time reading pieces and then thinking, "Man, I wish I would have said that!" The hard fact is that I am just a guy who loves to BS and will occasionally put it in writing. I'm the first to admit that I'm not really the literary kind.

I love my family and friends. When I was young I dreamed of finding the people with whom I would share my life. I was raised with love and had a deep need for sharing that love. I am proud of my family. I am proud of my friends. There have been many dreams and hopefully there will be many more. However, the things that mean the most to me are my family and friends and they are part of my proudest moments. I am comfortable with my abilities and accomplishments. I have learned that you don't have to be a musician to enjoy music, be an artist to enjoy art, be an accomplished athlete to enjoy sports, or be a published writer or poet to enjoy literature. You do have to be true to those you love and respect if you are going to be a good family man and friend.........And that's the kind of guy I want to be.

Comments

Popular Posts