We Don't Run And Play Anymore

This is a story I wrote about my brother Danny in a previous battle with his health issues. It came to mind as he now fights his last battle....
We Don't Run And Play Anymore
By Terry Beck
I sit in a sterile room free of color and warmth where minutes seem more like hours and hours can be torturous. Fresh air is but a memory and the weather matters not as I sit with Danny, my brother and friend, as he lays tangled in yards of tubes and wires hooked to noise making monitors and machines. He lays there, his tired body gripped and controlled by various "marvels" of medicine and as I look at a face that should be more recognizable, I wonder if at least his soul is still his to control. I stand and walk to his side and as I stand looking down on him my mind drifts back to his magical days of glory, when his potential and natural abilities were boundless and a confident smile was his dominant pose. But, he doesn't run and play anymore.
He is on a quest for better health as the masters of medicine work their miracles trying to reverse the effects of age, heredity and the demons of his past. I stand and listen to his labored breaths and I wished this was over, that all was as it once had been, and we were all home surrounded by family and friends. As I reached over, placed my hand on his head and smoothed his tousled hair, his eyes opened and for a moment, he looked lost and confused. Slowly his eyes appeared to focus and a slight grin came on his face as I said, "Welcome back Bro!".
He became frustrated as he tried to speak. I quickly pulled my chair next to his bed and began to talk, hoping to calm him and let him know everything was okay and he wasn't alone. I talked about everything and nothing. I spoke about our childhood, Mom, Dad, and brothers Chris, Pat and Steve. HIs eyes never left me as I went on about our romping and stomping through the old neighborhood. Slowly, his eyes closed and he was asleep again.
I leaned back, rubbed my old sore knee and sighed. I closed my eyes and continued my thoughts of a younger day and all that was ours to enjoy and share. Memories can be a wonderful thing, memories can lift our souls and let us run and let us play.

Comments

Popular Posts