Okay, Here's The Deal

It all began back in 1915 when Frank Merritt, the Chief Engineer for the Atchison Topeka And Santa Fe Railroad, was charged with the task of building a holding reservoir for water to supply steam engines on the nearby railway line, which ran 3.5 miles west of the lake at Bozar, just north of Goldthwaite, Texas. The lake would become know as Lake Merritt even though on some maps it is still shown as Brown's Creek, the creek that feeds into the lake. After the demise of the steam engine, the lake was sold to a private group of investors who purchased the lake as a recreational project, the Mills County Hunting And Fishing Club, whose members still own the lake and the surrounding land today.

Then back in the mid to late 1950's a young feller from Brownwood, Texas (yep, that's me) and his family began coming to Lake Merritt to join their kinfolks for the Burkett Reunion. My aunt and uncle, Della and Don Geeslin were members and owned a cabin on the lake and graciously provided an ideal place for the reunion. As a young kid I fell in love with Lake Merritt and the fishing, hunting, swimming, and skiing. My cousins Linda Gayle, Kent and Mark Geeslin along with our Mother's older sister La Juana's kids Mickey, Debby and David Ivy, would spend countless hours on and in the lake. The reunions continued at Lake Merritt on into the 70's and my cousins and I continued to attend along with our kids until the day came that there was no longer a Burkett Reunion, I'm not sure of the date.

I remember growing up and hearing my Dad speak of owning a place out in the country on a lake like Merritt sometime in the future. I also remember the delight of hearing of his dreams and hoping it would happen soon. It never happened for my Dad.

I too have had a dream since leaving home of having a place in the country, preferably on a lake or creek. I have dreamed of being back on Lake Merritt or a place of equal charm and serenity. I have always spoke openly of my wishes to anyone having a few minutes to listen.

Now retired and enjoying the gifts of shared family love and time, I have half heartedly spent a little time looking for a perfect piece of country to invest in. I love my family, my friends and the fun times associated with our present home and yes I love The Creek, even though it be of the man made variety. But I have grown tired of being faced with the real possibility of having a complete melt down just going out to purchase a loaf of bread.

A month or so ago, while promoting my book back home in Brownwood, I had a nice visit with my cousin Linda Gayle and one of her daughters, Shelley. I asked how the old lake (Merritt) was surviving in the drought conditions and they replied it was hanging in there but was about ten feet low. Half kidding I said if any of the lake folks get disheartened and decide to sell their piece of paradise, let me know.

Several weeks passed when I received a text from Shelley along with a photo she said she had just taken of someone sticking a for sale sign into the ground there at Lake Merritt with a phone number written on it. I immediately called the number and when the gentleman answered the phone I said that I was in the Ft Worth area and I understood he had his lake house for sale.

There was a pause, then a laugh and he said, "Who is this really and where are you?"

I told him again I was in Ft Worth and he again said, "Who is this, where are you hiding, you couldn't be in Ft Worth because I just put the damn sign in the ground forty-five seconds ago!"

I finally convinced him I was telling the truth and that some of my kinfolks had just walked by and took a picture of him and the sign. I asked if we could come look at the house and arrangements were made.  Of course I loved the place but, if this is possible, I believe Amber loved it more even considering the work it would take to make this lake house a home.

After weeks of offers and counter offers along with anticipation and the reality of potential disappointment, there was a hand shake, mounds of paperwork, an exchange of currency and a dream of a couple of generations came true.

Our dream consists of  a yellow (yellow looks better on a lake) lake house with a screened back porch that runs the length of the house on the lake side. It comes complete with a fishing pier, a nice work shop (for Amber), some of the grandest of trees and the crowning jewel, the lake itself. There are no paved roads within five miles of the house and folks get around on carts, four-wheelers or the old fashion method, walking. Goldthwaite, a beautiful town on its own, with a population of 1900 folks or so is about five miles away. Brownwood, my home town, is thirty minutes away. Mullin, the final resting place for my parents and many other loved ones, is about ten to fifteen minutes away.


So, that's what's been going on lately. There is a lot of work to be done, it looks like we will eventually sell our Burleson home of twenty-six years and thousands of hours of loving memories. It looks like 69 PR (Private Road) 109 with be home. I can't wait to share it with as many family members and friends as we possibly can. I will have to draw you a map, I don't think GPS understands "Turn right at the old fallen Mesquite Tree."

Comments

Popular Posts